BizLife 2.0 : A free Thesis 2.0 Skin

Few days back, I released my first Thesis 1.8.5 skin, BizLife and soon after that Thesis 2.0 was in the market.

I wanted to start working on upgrading the skin and releasing it as soon as possible. But, being a travel freak I left for a 4-days trip. :-)

After I returned, I started working on BizLife. It took me a few hours to get used to the new Skin Editor. But, then it worked pretty well and the good thing was, I was able to build it without writing a single line of PHP or HTML. Yes! That’s true. That’s the power of the new Skin Editor.

To make it user friendly, I did write some PHP but that’s not a part of the look and feel.

Update: I have released a paid and improved responsive design version of the BizLife 2.0 Skin. You might like to take a look. Click here.

Demo:

Click here to take a test drive of the new BizLife 2.0

Check out more Thesis 2.1 Skins

Download:

Click here to get access to BizLife 2.0 and start building your new site powered by Thesis 2.0

Installation:

After you download the Skin, login to WordPress admin, go to Thesis page, under Skins tab click on Select Skin.

select-skin

Click Upload Skin button on Select Skin page and upload BizLife zip file. After the upload process is complete, you will see BizLife Skin in the list of skins. Click Activate Skin button.

activate-skin

Now, go to Skin Editor and click on CSS tab. Here, click big green button : Save and compile CSS.

Notice the message that appears on top for installing Soliloquy Lite ? Well, that’s a slider plugin that I have integrated with the skin for ease of use. Follow the instructions and install the plugin.

Now, you can create your own home page slideshow using Soliloquy. The optimal size for slieshow is 950px by 300px or less.

Setting up the Home (Front) page:

This theme uses a static front page. So, for this create a new page in WordPress admin and name it as Home.

Create another page and name it as Blog.

Now, go to Settings Reading and there select Front page displays A static page,

Next, set

• Front page to Home
  • Posts page to Blog

and save the changes.

Three column content on home page comes from Home Widget #1, #2 and #3 which can be found on WordPress Widgets page. You can add your content here.

Setting up the slider:

Click Add new link from Soliloquy flyout menu. Please ignore the meta boxes which appear on the page. Scroll down and you will find a meta box for Upload and customize images. Click the button to upload your images.

Set slider size in Soliloquy Settings box.

home-slider

After this, hit the Publish button. Now, you can find a short code in the right column for inserting your slider. Copy this short code and go to WordPress Widgets page.

Drag a Text Widget to Home Slider and paste the short code there.

slider-shortcode

Setting up Featured Headline:

To set up your own custom featured headline, drag a Text Widget to Featured widget area and add your text to it. To create a call to action button similar to Hire Me on the demo site, you will need to add a custom class to “a” tag as shown below:

Replace URL with your own URL and change the text as well.

Read more buttons:

Just like call to action button, read more button also uses a custom class. Follow the code below :

To center align the button you can use something like this :

Yay! All done!

I know, it takes some time to set up the theme in a perfect manner. But, it’s easier than going through various Options and making several clicks on different tabs.

Reason for using multiple Widget Areas is that it follows standard WP approach and makes it easier to modify the content.

You can use the same widget area in multiple ways, use it display recent posts or comments or some text or a combination of image and text.

Check out mobile responsive Thesis 2.1 Skins

If you have got any questions or have any suggestions, please feel free to share your thoughts. All bouquets and brickbats are welcome :-)

If you need help setting up/customizing BizLife or need a custom Thesis skin then feel free to send me an e-mail.

Get free e-mail updates

{ 87 comments… add one }

• Robert October 12, 2012, 5:58 am

Great skin Puneet ;) with lots of customizations. Many people will thank you for sharing this skin for free

• Puneet October 12, 2012, 11:14 pm

Thanks Robert! I did my bit of giving back to the community :) I hope it will be helpful.

• Uttam Pegu October 12, 2012, 8:21 pm

Great free skin Puneet! I am thinking to use it too! It is also great to learn that, you quickly created a skin for Thesis 2.0!

• Puneet October 12, 2012, 11:17 pm

Hello sir! Glad to see you here. Let me know if you need any help setting it up on your site.

• Dave Horan October 13, 2012, 7:16 am

Fantastic job on the skin with such a new framework. Keep up the great work, and if you don’t mind I’d like to use this as an example of a skin for an upcoming presentation to a local WordPress users group while covering the Thesis 2.0 framework. I’ll be sure to promote your site!

• Puneet October 13, 2012, 8:41 am

Hi Dave! Thanks for the appreciation.
      Please feel free to use this skin for training purpose or building a personal / client site.

• Hannu October 16, 2012, 4:36 pm

Hi,
    What I am doing wrong as after activating your theme my site is completely empty?
    Also on the widgets I get error: “The theme you are currently using isn’t widget-aware, meaning that it has no sidebars”

• Puneet October 16, 2012, 7:50 pm

Hi Hannu!
      Did you follow the installation instructions? Thesis Skin works ONLY with Thesis 2.0. It’s NOT a stand alone WordPress theme.

• Hannu October 16, 2012, 8:48 pm

:) sure…
        I start to think that my Thesis 2 or the wordpress installation has something wrong as I get same blank page also with the “thesis Classic” skin. I suppose that should show up, right?

• Puneet October 16, 2012, 9:20 pm

Try to activate Thesis Classic and then in HTML editor switch to CSS tab. There click “Save and Compile CSS” button. After that check if your site shows up the content or not.

• Hannu October 16, 2012, 10:44 pm

Did not help :(

• Puneet October 16, 2012, 10:51 pm

Try reaching out to support forums and check if someone else had similar issue. If default Classic skin isn’t working then it means something is wrong with the installation.

• Hannu October 23, 2012, 8:41 am

Hi,
            Found the problem:
            It is about file ownership: if Wordpress is installed via Fantastico it assigns different user than when installing files via Cpanel file manager (Thesis) -> Thesis template will not work.
            Two solutions:
            - ask your hosting company to change users (or use ssh if you have it)
            - reinstall everything using file manager only

• Puneet October 23, 2012, 9:05 am

Cool! I remember it was talked about in Forums. So sorry couldn’t really figure it out for you. Thanks for sharing it here, might prove useful for other users. :) And yes, do not forget to share a link to your site when it’s ready.

• Jadene Mayla March 28, 2013, 1:44 am

I’m using BizLife2, not the default classic skin, so can you please clarify your comment, thanks.
            The main issue I want to ask you about is that I’m using containers in the template skin editor, but my content is overlapping. Do you know why this is happening?
            Thanks!

• patrick October 24, 2012, 6:49 pm

Hi Puneet, wondering what’s up: after I activate the skin in preview mode, the entire widget’s page is none-active. Everything’s there, but when I try to drop down on the widget box it won’t open, and I can’t click and drag any widgets. Kind of like the whole thing is “dead.” I tried to activate the theme to see if that would make a difference and it did not. Any clues? Also, do I need to purchase the upgrade for the slider to work properly? The menu I see is different from what’s on your web site. Thanks!

• Puneet October 24, 2012, 10:13 pm

Hi Patrick! Try to de-activate Thesis and switch back to default TwentyEleven Theme. See if the issue gets resolved or not. You can use the free version of Slider, it has limited options but yes, basic features of adding Slides will work fine or you can use any other slider plugin of your choice and put it in “Featured Slider” widget area.

• Emily December 2, 2012, 12:45 am

Hi Puneet,

I am having the same problem as stated here. The skin editor is DEAD. I can’t move anything around and if I create new boxes, I cannot drag them anywhere into the structure that came with BizLife. I like the skin, but I am aborting for now because I cannot customize it. I tried your suggestion above, deactivated Thesis altogether, back to the TwentyEleven theme and then reactivated Thesis to no avail – the skin editor within BizLife is still non-responsive.

• Puneet December 2, 2012, 12:51 am

Hi Emily!

Can you please tell me which browser are you using?
          I tested the skin and it works fine for me on both Chrome and Firefox.

• Emily December 2, 2012, 12:58 am

Chrome. Would love it if I could get this to work.

• Puneet December 2, 2012, 1:01 am

I tried to re-create the issue in Chrome but everything worked fine.
            Can you try deleting the skin and re-installing it?
            And if the skin editor is frozen, try to refresh the page.
            That’s what I could think of right now.

• Puneet December 2, 2012, 1:04 am

If you wish, you can send me an e-mail with your WP admin login details and I will look into this and try to fix it up.
            Please use this contact form

• kumar October 30, 2012, 10:31 am

Hi,

can you tell me what is this in seed.txt file “e392f067976e7113e82bbdb85c020fd5″

Thanks
    Kumar

• Puneet October 30, 2012, 10:36 am

seed.txt contains all the Box and CSS settings for the skin. The no. you are referring to is probably used for a checksum test so that the seed.txt file works only for the respective skin. You may get accurate information about it in forums.

• kumar October 30, 2012, 10:53 am

Hi,

How did you get it?

Thanks
        Kumar

• Puneet October 30, 2012, 10:58 am

seed.txt is created when a Skin is exported as a zip file.
          If you are working on a skin with Thesis 2.0.1 then I will suggest you to use “Import/Export” features available in “Manager” section of the skin editor.

• kumar October 30, 2012, 10:59 am

oK Thanks…

• Hannu October 30, 2012, 2:59 pm

Hi again.
    Now that I have solved the Thesis owner issue and got the Thesis classic visible I have problem with Bizlife…
    When I activate the Bizlife template I get just blank screen on the website. :(

H.

• Puneet October 30, 2012, 3:08 pm

I think you have upgraded to Thesis 2.0.1 and in that case you will need to re-download the latest copy of BizLife 2.0
      Skins built for Thesis 2.0 do not work with 2.0.1 so I upgraded it and pushed it to Github. You can download it from here. https://github.com/psahalot/BizLife-Two/zipball/master

• Robert Rodriguez Jr October 31, 2012, 10:35 pm

I’m having a similar issue with Thesis 2.01 and your updated version of the skin. Once I activate it, I get an internal 500 error. Only way to fix is to manually delete the skin folder. Any ideas or suggestions? thanks!

• Puneet October 31, 2012, 10:54 pm

Hi Robert!
      I checked and installed it on my test site, it worked without any errors.
      Please try downloading the latest version from here.
      It might be possible that you had an older version which was built for Thesis 2.0. Let me know if you face any issues.

• Robert Rodriguez Jr November 1, 2012, 2:02 am

I tried the skin from your link and it uploads ok, but when I activate it, I get a internal 500 error. If I delete it, then the classic skin works fine. I’d like to purchase the pro version, but I’m afraid it will have the same problem…

• Puneet November 1, 2012, 2:13 am

Are you uploading it via Thesis Skins page as mentioned in the post above?
      I downloaded a copy from the link I provided to you and installed it on test site without any issues.

• Robert Rodriguez Jr November 1, 2012, 2:36 am

Yes I am – it uploads and installs fine, but when I activate it, website stops working…

• Puneet November 1, 2012, 2:38 am

Strange! can you e-mail me your site’s login details? puneet[at]icustomizethesis[dot]com

• oloman November 3, 2012, 1:59 am

I got the same problem: internal error. Did Robert fix the problem?

• Puneet November 3, 2012, 1:48 pm

Hi Oloman!
          It could be possibly a problem with “permissions” on your hosting server. When I checked Robert’s site, no skins other than default Thesis Classic worked.
          And as Hannu has described in the comment below that solution might work for you as well.

• Jeramy November 1, 2012, 5:10 am

hell Puneet:

I found your site while looking for some 2.0 skins; there is few out there. I really like the BizLife skin and plan to upgrade. I just installed the free version to play with it; 2.0 has many changes and I am still learning my way though. There is a very cool box that I would like to add from Thesis Awesome called Sliding Opt-in Form; here is the link to the demo- http://legendary.thesisawesome.com/

I have added it and played with it to try to get it to work, but cannot. I was hoping to add to the home page above the images…. but cannot figure out how to add…. is this something that I will need the pro version for? I need to add an opt in form to the home page, and I am hopeful this is a good solution.

Thanks,
    Jeramy

• Puneet November 1, 2012, 1:46 pm

Hi Jeramy!

I installed the optin box on my test site and it works perfectly.
      After you install the box, go to Thesis Skin Editor and from the right column, drag dark gray colored “Optin Box” and place it inside the “Headline area” section on left side.
      After that move your mouse over to “Optin Box” text and you will see a small “gear” icon next to it. Click this icon and you will need to paste the HTML code for your optin box. Finally, save the template.

• Veronika Freeman, dotcalm November 7, 2012, 6:47 am

Any idea why I get this message: The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.

• Puneet November 7, 2012, 10:54 pm

Hi Veronika!
      Looks like you are trying to install it from “Themes” page. This is a Skin for Thesis 2.0 so you will need to follow the installation instructions mentioned above.

• Rich Tanner November 8, 2012, 5:22 am

Early Days yet -but site set up looks good. Thanks

• Paul November 15, 2012, 8:42 am

Where is the Click Add new link from Soliloquy flyout menu?

• Puneet November 15, 2012, 11:44 am

Hi Paul!
      Did you install Soliloquy plugin after activating the Skin? If yes, you will see Soliloquy link in the left pane.

• Monica November 18, 2012, 4:19 am

Hi,

I like a lot this skin and I am trying to learn about it and to work in it for my webpage. But, I have the following problema and I can’t follow:
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected end of file in C:\xampp\htdocs\internationalsteps\wp-content\thesis\skins\psahalot-BizLife-Two-d396bd8-3\boxes\credit-box\box.php on line 21

I would be grateful if you can tell me what I can do. I am not an expert.

Thanks a lot.

Monica

• Puneet November 18, 2012, 11:44 am

Hi Monica!

This error was caused because I was using “short” PHP tag. I have fixed it now. Please download the latest copy from download link in the post above. Delete the existing copy of Skin and install the new one.

• Monica November 18, 2012, 2:59 pm

Thanks a lot Puneet! You are very nice! Greetings from Spain!

• Puneet November 18, 2012, 9:52 pm

You are welcome Moncia! :)

• Gregory Karpinsky November 18, 2012, 9:37 am

Hi Puneet,

In the credit box (line 21) you used <? instead of <?php

This caused a parse error on my server, because PHP was setup to allow only the full <?php syntax and not the short one.

I had to edit the box code to fix it.

– G.K.

• Puneet November 18, 2012, 11:45 am

Thanks Gregory! I have changed it in the main file so no one else will face this issue. :)

• Azman November 19, 2012, 2:37 pm

Hi Puneet,

I’m using your Thesis skin for my beanbags selling website and still try to configure few things.

I wanna know, whether it is possible to change the blue background into other colors?

and if you can help me, how to disable the sidebar widget on the pages – so that I could have a clean one whole page for example to place an online order form i,e, http://www.lullabean.com/orderform/

Thanks for your help & congratulation on the very nice Thesis skin.

• Puneet November 19, 2012, 10:49 pm

Hi Azman!

Yes, you can edit the blue background color using Thesis Skin Editor. Go to “CSS” section, in the package list look for “Slider Area”. Click this package and a pop-up will appear. In the pop-up box click “options” tab. Now click on “background” and you will see the option to change the color.

I am sorry, this free skin doesn’t come with a full-width template or a landing page template. Premium version of the skin has a landing page template. You can check the demo of BizLife Pro here and take a look at “Landing Page”.

• Nick November 22, 2012, 3:45 am

Hi, I’m having an issue with comments… They aren’t available on my pages since adding your skin. Can you have a look and give me an idea of how to go about fixing it? Look at http://www.homebrewresource.com/hop-guide for the page in question.

Thanks!

• Puneet November 22, 2012, 9:50 am

Hi Nick!
      I didn’t add comments section to the template for pages. So these are not available.
      You can add that very easily. In your WP admin go to Thesis Skin Editor, click “Page” template.
      Click >> Content area > wrapper > 2 columns > column 1 > WP Loop. Now, from the boxes available in right column, shift+drag these boxes : “Comments Intro”, “Comments” and “Comment Form” to “WP Loop” and put all these boxes below “Page Content” box.

• Peter Markovic November 30, 2012, 11:18 am

I need to disable the home slider, you told me how to do that for the 1.85 version, but I don’t know how in 2.02

Thanks

• Peter Markovic November 30, 2012, 12:17 pm

Home slider resolved, I deleted the CSS and moved the container out of the front page. Just trying to find out how to make my pages full width, no sidebar?

• Puneet November 30, 2012, 1:53 pm

Hi Peter!

You can create a new template for full width pages. Check “Templates” section on this page for details.

• Peter Markovic November 30, 2012, 2:29 pm

The page I am seeing is different from the description and screen shot provided by DIY, could it be the layout is different in thesis 2.2

• Peter Markovic December 1, 2012, 5:51 am

I have copied the homepage and called it No Sidebars, but still see the right hand column, It seems to me that a new box needs to be created for a full page.

I’m getting lost at this point

• Puneet December 1, 2012, 1:26 pm

Hi Peter!
          Please send me login details of your site and I will set it up for you.

• Peter Markovic November 30, 2012, 2:35 pm

I’m sorry,my bad I see it now.

• Peter Markovic December 1, 2012, 2:57 pm

Hi Puneet,

Thank you for your assistance, I have tried many skins, this is my favorite so far.

Pete

• Puneet December 1, 2012, 2:59 pm

Glad to hear that you like it. :)

• Peter Markovic December 5, 2012, 2:56 am

Not able to move a widget into the primary sidebar for some reason, I do have 2 already there. However when I try to move recent posts for example, the load button continues with out stopping and the widget disappears after a refresh?

• Puneet December 5, 2012, 2:58 am

A plugin might be causing some conflict. Try to deactivate the plugins and re-activate one-by-one till you face the issue again.

• Peter Markovic December 5, 2012, 3:24 am

You were right, it is my membership plugin that was causing it, probably explains a few other issues also.

Many thanks

• Raj December 25, 2012, 5:23 pm

what are your plans of launching a Thesis 2 Skins club, would love to see more professional themes from you..?

• Puneet December 26, 2012, 6:56 pm

I wish I could do that very soon. :-)

• Hisham Supian January 6, 2013, 12:43 am

Thanks for the lovely skin.. I will use it for my experiment on thesis 2.0 … Anyway TQVM for the cool skin…

• Peter February 11, 2013, 2:44 am

Hi and thanks to you for the Skin.

One question please: On my page the Background Color of the Slider Area is white instead of blue. In the CSS options is the Background color entered correctly.

Anyone an idea?

Thanks and Regards

• Puneet February 11, 2013, 9:18 pm

Hi Peter can you please share a link to your site? Will be easier for me to inspect.

• Peter February 13, 2013, 2:26 am

Hi Puneet,

i have found the issue.
        If i disable your “Thesis Content Slider” Box, then the Slider Background on the hompage shows the correct blue color.

• Jadene Mayla March 7, 2013, 3:23 am

Hello,
    So I’d like to find step-by-step instructions like the ones above for developing the rest of the skin. I’ve followed the steps you listed in the above article, but what about after that?
    Thanks!

• Puneet March 12, 2013, 9:58 pm

Hi Jadene, am not sure what more instructions you need to setup the skin. Can you please share some details?

• Jadene Mayla March 13, 2013, 6:18 am

Hi Puneet,
        Thanks for your response. For instance, I would like to be able to adjust things like:
        1. adding an image to the background
        2. altering the color and size of the “hire me” button
        3. getting the slider to slide across the page rather than fade between images
        An example site using this skin would be great, to be able to get ideas for what to put in the various widgets, especially along the footers.
        Thanks!

• Puneet Sahalot April 7, 2013, 1:21 pm

Hi Jadene!
          If you need any assistance, please feel free to reach me via contact form and I will be happy to work with you.

• Nesha April 17, 2013, 8:33 pm

Hi!

I love this theme!

But how can I change replace the site title with a logo?

And is there a way for me to add more widget sections?

Thanks
    Nesha

• Jonathan May 8, 2013, 9:03 pm

Hey Puneet,
    Got a couple of questions. I am trying to re-design my website while using your skin. I followed your steps in order to create “read more” buttons etc.. but i cant seem to find a way to customize the font and/or the color of them. I tried looking on the css editor for that class and nothing. The only one i found was a package for action button.
    Can you please advise?

• Puneet May 9, 2013, 1:25 am

Hi Jonathan!
      As much as I remember, there is a package titled “rm_button”
      Instead of editing the package, I suggest you to add your CSS to “Custom CSS” section. That way you can keep a track of your changes and need not struggle for finding the right package.

• Photo Guy May 14, 2013, 10:18 am

Hey Puneet,

Are you still offering a free version of bizlife? I was hoping to check it out.

Thanks!

J

• Puneet May 14, 2013, 12:26 pm

It’s still free. You just need to subscribe to my mailing list and you will receive the download link.

• Jennifer May 19, 2013, 9:48 pm

Thanks so much for making the free BizLife skin available. It’s a great way for me to test the look and feel of the template before upgrading to the Pro version.

I’d like to be able to activate the sidebar. Could you please tell me how to do that?
    Thanks!

• Puneet May 19, 2013, 11:00 pm

Hi Jennifer!
      Glad that you liked my work.
      You can add widgets to sidebar from Widgets page in WP Admin under the Appearance tab.

• Jennifer May 20, 2013, 7:43 am

On my Widgets page, it reads:

Inactive Sidebar (not used)
        This sidebar is no longer available and does not show anywhere on your site.

I didn’t know if the inactive sidebar was part of the skin design. I would love to be able to put some widgets over there. Is there a way to “activate” the sidebar?

• Puneet May 20, 2013, 12:23 pm

The Inactive Sidebar contains widgets that are no longer used on your site. You can drag widgets from this Inactive Sidebar to Primary widget area in the right column on Widgets Page.

• Jennifer May 20, 2013, 8:30 pm

It worked. Thanks so much!

• Peter May 20, 2013, 12:50 pm

Hi,

my sidebar is not displayed on the homepage, but on all other pages.
    I want to show it on the Homepage too. Is it possible?